Inhabitants are referred to as Tarasconnais or Tarasconnaises.
The patron saint of the city is Saint Martha, whose motto is "Concordia Felix".
Mlle de Longueville wishing to defray the cost of erecting the first monastery, in Rue St.
Jacques, Henry IV granted letters patent, 18 July, 1602.
A meeting in which Pierre de Bérulle, future founder of the Oratory, St.
She urged De Bérulle to refuse the tutorship of Louis XIII, and on 11 November, 1611 she, with St.
To her residence came all the distinguished and devout people of the day in Paris, among them Mme de Meignelay, née de Gondi, a model of Christian widows, Mme Jourdain and Mme de Bréauté, future Carmelites, the Chancellor de Merillac, Père Coton the Jesuit, St. Francis of Sales, who for six months was Mme Acarie's director. Teresa, appeared to her and informed her that God wished to make use of her to found Carmelite convents in France.
The pious woman had been living thus retired from the world, but sought by chosen souls, when, toward the end of 1601, there appeared a French translation of Ribera's life of St. The translator, Abbé de Brétigny, was known to her. The apparitions continuing, Mme Acarie took counsel and began the work.
Her father, Nicholas Avrillot was accountant general in the Chamber of Paris, and chancellor of Marguerite of Navarre, first wife of Henri IV; while her mother, Marie Lhuillier was a descendant of Etienne Marcel, the famous prévôt des marchands (chief municipal magistrate).
She was placed with the Poor Clares of Longchamp for her education, and acquired there a vocation for the cloister, which subsequent life in the world did not alter.